Making kombucha at home is very easy! It's also more fun and much less expensive than buying it at the grocery store.
Here is the process that I use:
- Kombucha Brewing Kit (I bought this one, but you could gather these supplies on your own)
- 3L glass jug
- cloth to cover the top
- string, elastic, shoelace, etc (to attach the cloth to the jar)
- 6 tea bags (mix of black and green tea)
- 2 cups (500ml) starter culture (included in kit, gift from a friend's brew, or plain kombucha from the store)
- 1 cup (250g) of sugar
First Fermentation (main fermentation process)
- Bring 3L of water to a boil
- Add teabags and remove from heat
- Steep for ~15min
- Remove teabags
- Allow the tea to come down to room temperature (to avoid damaging the bacterial culture in the starter)
- Add sugar, stir
- Pour the room temp sweet tea mixture into the glass jar (leaving enough room for ~500ml)
- Add 2 cups of plain kombucha (starter culture) +/- the SCOBY (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast)
- Cover the top of the jar with the cotton cloth and elastic/string.
- Leave it to brew for 7-10 days (brewing time depends on the room temperature). Remove it when it's reached the desired degree of fermentation.
Second Fermentation (flavouring and carbonation)
- Pour the kombucha into sealable bottles (air tight to trap carbonation).
- Add flavouring (optional)
- Leave sealed at room temperature for 2 more days.
- Move to the fridge to stop the fermentation